Friday, July 29, 2011

Junken Trip - July 2011


We started out at Coal at that shed on the corner (Nichol’s Corner) where the doors are open and the wind is blowing, thank goodness!  Jeff bought a hand tool, can’t remember what you call it, oh ya a chisel (and not pictured.)   I bought a granite pot, red and white of course, a little vinegar cruet (pictured below with the glass dome) and a little green shelf for my office.  I like to shop there, you can always get him to lower the price if you offer.  His stuff is dirty, but never costs much to clean it up.   I used the pot already to cook the corn I froze Tuesday night.




Then we stopped at Warsaw at that shop on the south east corner.  I bought a couple of crocheted chicken potholders.  I thought Becky might want one to make some others for her friends.  It looks a lot like one Grandma made me many years ago and who knows where it is now!  Jeff bought a bottle in there.  Then we went to the little store that is 4 or 5 buildings on the hill.  What a mess of stairs and hot!  There was a little round table with a nice base to it.  I offered the woman $10 and she said she wanted $15.  I said I have $12 in my pocket, so that’s what I paid.  It isn’t claw feet, but on that order and I think we can use that chisel maybe on the gorilla glue.  Thank goodness it fit in the back seat!  I even carried it DOWN the hill to the car!



We drove through Camdenton and on to Osage Beach to 42 Highway.  We pulled out the Bugles and a snack and went on to Iberia and then to Crocker to our favorite store, Bear Ridge Antiques.  Of course, it is an outside facility mostly anyway that’s where you find most of the bargains.  They have a great interior, but prices are a little higher inside.  Outside, I found the magazine rack that Jeff has already taken the legs off.  It’s scuffed up, but not enough so I’m going to crackle paint it white and darken with brown shoe polish.  Maybe I can get Jeff to do the brown part too.  That darn shoe polish messes up my nails!  I also got 2 little scented wax (1 cinnamon and 1 mulberry, yum) disks to put in the pot Becky gave me to make the house smell awesome!  An old awful cross stitched potholder that looks like a kid made it and another couple crocheted potholders.  Don’t know why potholders are speaking to me these days.  They are usually very inexpensive and take up little space.  I already had purchased several when I saw that Sharon, Chandra’s stepmother collects them too.    




We then drove to St. Robert’s and had wonderful chicken and mashed potatoes, gravy, pinto beans, and Coke cake.  If you like chocolate and you haven’t tried it, you should.  Tastes soooo homemade.  I wish I had their frosting recipe!  Then, maybe it’s a good thing I don’t have it! (some of these pictures aren’t too hot because they are from my phone, via Ivy’s email.  Thanks Ivy!)


Then we drove south at St. James and just before you get to Cherryville, there is the cutest property.  They have landscaped beautifully and have erected several sheds and there are horns and pots and all kinds of things hanging on the walls.  There are fences out of home made fencing and a small lake and dock.  I could look all day and never see it all.  Of course, some people can’t turn around and go back nor slow down and park in the driveway and just look. (I have pictures of this place, but of course, right now can’t find them!)  Then down through very lovely pine forests.  I opened my window just to smell the fresh air.  This picture is from the town of Steeleville I think.  I just love those wide tree-lined streets.  I rolled down my window again!


 We stayed all night in Willow Springs and had the very nicest room.  We got Subway sandwiches and took back to the room.  The next morning we started out at the Hillbilly Junction having breakfast.  I ordered the Hill Ringer.  The menu says it’s big enough for 2 people, but would easily serve 6.  Needless to say it came home in a box!  Jeff had bacon, sausage & biscuits.  We went down the road to their neighbor, the Country Junk-shun.  Jeff got a bottle, a dishpan and that’s where I picked up the old quilt heart.  I plan to hang it in my office.



After Willow Springs, we headed north, through rain of course and ended up at Bolivar.  We drove by the Country Hearth just to see if the Tea Garden Café was open and they might be serving lemon cake, but darn.  We drove out to the highway to the Karlin Lane Antiques.  I got a glass dome (not old) to put on a plate over the top of baked goods to keep CATS out of it.  They seem to think plastic wrap is an invitation to taste everything!  Jeff got the other bottle there.  By then it’s lunch/supper time and we stopped at Collins had a meal at Smith’s Restaurant.  We stopped at Wal-Mart in Clinton for Jeff to pick up some stuff for his lunches for the week.  We could not drive home fast enough and I think that is the only time my car has sped by the Clinton DQ without stopping (maybe not!)



No comments:

Post a Comment