Friday, July 29, 2011

Cat In The Hat Diaper Cake Creation

Earlier this year, back in March I believe I opened my big mouth and volunteered myself to make a diaper cake for a friend's baby shower.  Me, who is over-worked, stressed-to-the-max and obviously speaking nonsense.  The Mom-To-Be had her heart set on a Dr. Seuss theme, and thank goodness already had the lovely Cat In His Dumb Hat stuffed animal I placed on top.
I am creative, yes, but I often find that my creative juices come to a stand still after I've worked a 60 hour work week and really have never even seen what contraptions occur inside these awful "diaper cakes".  
I did no planning, no list making, no thinking.  I drove straight to Wal-Mart the night before the baby shower and loaded my cart full of these wonderful treasures:

Ivy's Diaper Cake Ingredients:
-equate brand infant gas relief
-hand sanatizer
-organic diapers
-Pampers sensitive wipes
-5 pairs of teeny-cutesy-wutsy baby socks
-3 cards of girly baby head bands
-Baby's first MIZZOU Tigers t-shirt
-baby powder
-nipple cream
-awesome bottles
-pacifiers
-baby lotion
-baby shampoo
...and those are just the ones I remember!
I was at a loss as to how the whole cake would stay together, how the diapers would stay rolled...so I picked up the first thing that came to mind.  rubber bands!  The large ones in the office supply section made it easy to hold the items together in the center.  I then found the tiny rubber bands that I believe are in the hair care section to wrap around each diaper as I rolled it.  
I also grabbed several rolls of red ribbon.  Checked, satin, striped, polka-dotted, really it's all wonderful stuff.  I've always had a thing for ribbon!
Starting at the base, I made a tower of products, using what felt like hundreds of big rubber bands to hold it all together, and then I simply just started adding rolled diapers.  After I finished a section, I'd wrap a large 1 inch wide ribbon around it for decoration...and support..and I'd cross my fingers and hope it stayed!
Honestly, I don't know how it turned out so well, but I'm entirely glad I took the challenge.  When it comes to crafts, planning obviously isn't a necessity.  When it's made from the heart it always turns out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment